Monday, May 3, 2010

My Plan...The House's Plan...2 Different Things

So here's what my plan was for this evening:

*Get chicken baked and supper ready for my hubby to eat as soon as he walked in the door.
*Our Fix-it Guy was due to arrive after 6:00 so that gave Rick about 15 minutes or so to chow down something before the guy arrived.
*Rick and the Fix-it Guy, I will just call him FIG, were set to pull out the toilet in my downstairs bathroom and put down a 3/4 inch piece of plywood, put the toilet back in and be done for the night.
*Since this was to commence at 6:00, I put supper in the oven at 5:00.
*Who should pull into the driveway at 5:15? None other than the FIG... He puttered around outside in the garage for about 30 minutes so I didn't bother with him.
*Of course this has changed my supper plans. Now Rick is going to have to wait until they are done tonight to eat. GREAT!

Wait. It gets even better. Every time something is being repaired in this house it develops into a huge repair much larger than originally anticipated. Nothing is ever a quick "tear that out and replace it with a new one." This situation is no different. They pulled out the toilet so they could measure the hole for the new plywood and discovered that the cast iron sewer pipe is cracked. This means the pipe will have to be replaced before the new floor goes in. Of course, since most of the floor is tore up this obviously means that "we're just going to pull out the rest of the bathroom floor so we can get to the pipe easier and then we can move the vent pipe into the wall like it should be." Seriously??? For crying out loud. Actually you would never hear me crying over the sound of the reciprocating saw I'm listening to right now. Guess what. The FIG doesn't really like to work with plumbing. This is a joke, right?? OK, so my husband is great with plumbing which means that he's going to be doing the plumbing and FIG will be...assisting? Of course FIG gets paid for this and my husband is just too kind-hearted to get pissy with the landlord and demand some sort of payment for his services.

Well, at 9:00 tonight they decided to call it quits for the night. My bathroom is a demolition site with nothing in it. My sink and toilet are sitting in my kitchen...Lovely... Previously the FIG said he would be here Monday and Wednesday to do this work but now he told my husband that he won't be back until Friday. It just keeps getting better and better...

3 comments:

  1. Oh Joy..I am so sorry to hear everything you are going through! But does it make me a mean person if I say that the trials you post about give me a bad case of the giggles? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it does not make you a mean person. I write them and send them out there so SOMEBODY can giggle! LOL

    ReplyDelete