Monday, March 1, 2010

Welcome Isaac Matthew / Not Everyone Can Be A "Poppy"




Sunday, February 28, 2010 my Cousin Katie had her first child. He is a beautiful baby boy named Isaac. After church, my husband, Rick, and I drove over to Sioux Falls to meet Isaac and to visit with my cousin, her boyfriend and my favorite Uncle who I have called "Daddy Bill" since my brother started calling him that when he was about 3 years old.


Isaac Matthew came into the world at 12:45 am weighing 8 lbs. 6 oz. and measuring 20 3/4" long. He is absolutely beautiful. He did not cry once while we were there. According to his mommy he did not really cry when he was born nor did he when given his Hep B Vacc. Katie has been blessed with a good baby.



It was so good to see my Daddy Bill. I don't think I have seen him since the Memorial Service for my beloved Aunt Chris, 5 years ago this April. He is my absolute favorite Uncle. Daddy, Daddy Bill, Poppy - those are the names he goes by now-a-days. He's very good at all the duties required of all of those titles. Not everyone can be a "Poppy" in my opinion. My cousin Jamie - often called "Jamie John" by the family, just as I am known as "Joy Jean" by the family - and I started calling our Grandpa Waters "Poppy" at a very young age. He has been known as Poppy by all of his wonderful grandchildren ever since. Our Poppy was a wonderful man. Poppy was loving, patient, kind and dependable. He is my hero and I hold him in the highest esteem possible. I once thought nobody could ever be another "Poppy." But now that I see Daddy Bill with his children and grand children I stand corrected. Only certain people will ever be able to fill the shoes of an actual "Poppy" and my Daddy Bill is more than qualified.

I have been really struggling with some sadness since we went to meet Isaac. I feel that I'm not exactly entitled to these feelings. These feelings should be Katie's, as Aunt Chris was her mother and I'm just one of the cousins... I wish Aunt Chris had been there. Oh, I know she was THERE and probably had been since Katie checked into the hospital on Friday night. Kate is sure her mother was with her the whole time. But I wanted her to be there in body. I wanted to see her hold Isaac. I wanted to watch her hold Katie's hand. I wanted to hug her. I wanted her to put her coat on and leave with us, riding down in the elevator, walking across the parking lot with my Daddy Bill.



I miss you Aunt Chris and I love you dearly. By the way, Isaac looks a great deal like you in his face. He is definitely your grandson.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Wonderful sentiments & your blog has now made my favorites list. I too had wished for mom to be around when Riley was born. My gratitude was in that she new Riley Grace was coming & shared in that joy. Riley refers to Grammy and will know her only from stories & pictures. Thankfully our Sydney knew her & will be able to share that knowledge w/ her sister.

    You are correct........ Dad makes an excellent Poppy and has followed in his father's shoes very well. Both beloved. =) Love you Joy Jean! xoxo

    ReplyDelete