Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dangling The Carrot


This week I officially kicked off my new healthy lifestyle. I've always struggled with my weight but I am not going to struggle anymore. I am going to beat obesity. An old leg injury is causing me to become very unhealthy. I have shrugged my shoulders and given up because of it and I am not going to do that anymore. About 5 years ago I took a spill and injured my leg terribly. Since then I have had great difficulty doing activities that involve being on my feet. When I fell, I hyper-extended my knee, bending it the wrong way at nearly a 90 degree angle. I tore my ACL, my PCL, fractured my Tibia vertically and sustained 4 fractures in my kneecap. In a matter of seconds I went from able-bodied to wheelchair-bound. It was devastating. Once I was healed, I literally had to learn to walk again. During my fall I also injured my ankle causing me to have to wear an orthotic insert for my shoe for a few years. Ever since then I have had issues walking more than a block. I get pain in my ankle which spreads to the bottom my foot. I then realize that my toes are numb. It is difficult for me to even accept this. All of this will be taken care of soon, as I am going to make an appointment to see a podiatrist. I need to get my exercise goals on track.


I also need to get my eating habits back on track. How am I going to do this? Well, it is a combination of a few things. I have 2 high school friends who have recently inspired me. Celeste inspired me to start thinking about my own goals through her honesty and willingness to share her goals, struggles and achievements that she has made with Weight Watchers. She shares the most wonderful healthy recipes, and I LOVE recipes. Also, on Sundays, she prepares servings of food in containers and baggies so she is prepared for the week. This careful planning keeps you from just grabbing any unhealthy snack in reach when you are hungry. This has inspired me. I AM going to do this. By her willingness to share her excitement and her accomplishments, Kendra has inspired me to return to the SparkPeople website to give it another go. I joined the site over a year ago but never really did anything with it. Now I am using it to get meal suggestions, to track my meals, to track my exercise and to connect with others who can offer encouragement and advice.


Today I had a realization about myself. I am driven by rewards. There, I said it. LOL I've always known that I am not driven by money, status or public perception. But today, while reading the blogs on SparkPeople, I realized that I am driven by reward. THAT, my dear, is how I am motivating myself on this new path...with a carrot. Not an actual carrot, but a reward for each milestone, like the carrot dangled in front of the horse's nose. I am compiling a list of things that I want, which I will receive when I hit certain milestones in my weight loss journey. As a motivator for me, this is brilliant. I have things that I want which may be trivial things, but I am going to earn them. I also have things that I have longed for that I am going to earn. I haven't quite set my list in stone but here is a preliminary list.


Pounds Lost

10 = New keyboard for computer

20 = Good Neighbors series DVD's

30 = what do I put here???

40 = Engraved Anniversary ring

50 = Hotel stay

60 = Digital video camera

70 = New sewing machine

80 = New computer

1 comment:

  1. Good luck my friend! I know you will have lots of success!

    ReplyDelete